It’s raining and you have no power!
Does your RCD trip during heavy rains leaving you with no power and in the dark? Then when you try to reset it, it won’t reset.
With Perth’s recent stormy weather, we have received a large number of emergency calls that relate to RCD’s tripping during heavy rain fall.
So what’s the deal?
Water is making contact with your electrical system somewhere and somehow. If not corrected, this is a serious problem that should be taken care of as soon as possible! Electricity and water should never mix and Bara Electrical are experts at finding and fixing the problem.
Some of the circumstances that may be resulting in power failure during heavy down pours include:
- Exterior light fitting broken
- Faulty Landscaping light
- Power points with faulty covers or no covers
- Water flooding into the roof space due to blocked gutters
- Extension cords being used outdoors to power lights or something else.
Mostly the issues causing the power outage are difficult to find, so it’s quicker and safer to call a licensed electrician with the equipment and knowledge to easily find the faults.
In the meantime, during the power outage we recommend that you:
- Turn off or disconnect appliances and other equipment in case of a momentary power “surge” that can damage computers and other devices. Consider adding surge protectors.
- Stay away from any visible signs of water leaking into your home.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. Most food requiring refrigeration can be kept safely in a closed refrigerator for several hours.
If your RCD keeps tripping after it rains and you live in the Perth metro area, contact Bara Electrical and we will have one of our experts to you asap.